Both vets (Kerstin and her partner Abigail) came out this morning to treat Raven. Miss Thing *cantered* away from me when I went to catch her, which I take as a good sign. Overall the vets were very pleased with how things look. Inflammation has gone down around the joint, and they were able to detect two pockets of fluid with the ultrasound. The fluid appears confined to the joint and is not affecting the tendon sheath -- I am rapidly learning more about hock joints, and this is good news. Both pockets of fluid were drained, flushed and infused with antibiotics again. Raven got another 350cc of Excenel (about $100 worth -- eek!) and 2g of bute. More bute tonight, more Excenel and bute tomorrow, and Kerstin will be back on Monday morning to see where things stand. I remain cautiously optimistic.
Still no sign of the culprit despite much searching. Abigail suggested that I get a metal detector, which is a really good idea. Raven now has a big edema under her chest, but I can't say whether it's from stress or trauma or maybe just her blanket binding around her when she's down. The good news is that Kerstin examined Tonka this morning and thought that I was crazy for worrying at all about strangles. Daun will be pleased to hear that we decided against further vaccination.