Just a quick post to let you know that Kerstin made it out first thing this morning. She confirms that the puncture is clean and deep into the joint -- probably a nail or a piece of wire. She drained off fluid, flushed with saline, infused with antibiotics and wrapped it up. She also administered 3g of intravenous antibiotic (Exceden or something...brain not really working) and 2g of bute. She will be back to do the same tomorrow, and she left me with a shot of Banamine for this evening as well as oral bute. She prefers the Banamine so that the exact dosage is known, as degree of lameness is an important indicator of how things are going. Raven was a total star throughout the treatment.
Kerstin feels we have a 50/50 chance or preventing a primary infection. If the joint does get infected I will be forced to make a difficult decision. Hock joint infections are notorious for being difficult to treat and for leaving their victims only pasture sound. This has not been a great day so far, but I am cautiously optimistic given that we caught it so fast. All good wishes welcome!