Friday, November 14, 2008

Raven Update

Just a quick post to let you know that Kerstin made it out first thing this morning. She confirms that the puncture is clean and deep into the joint -- probably a nail or a piece of wire. She drained off fluid, flushed with saline, infused with antibiotics and wrapped it up. She also administered 3g of intravenous antibiotic (Exceden or something...brain not really working) and 2g of bute. She will be back to do the same tomorrow, and she left me with a shot of Banamine for this evening as well as oral bute. She prefers the Banamine so that the exact dosage is known, as degree of lameness is an important indicator of how things are going. Raven was a total star throughout the treatment.

Kerstin feels we have a 50/50 chance or preventing a primary infection. If the joint does get infected I will be forced to make a difficult decision. Hock joint infections are notorious for being difficult to treat and for leaving their victims only pasture sound. This has not been a great day so far, but I am cautiously optimistic given that we caught it so fast. All good wishes welcome!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet DP,
thanks for the update...these things are so random and you are doing the best you can with a strange situation.
Please do go and rake the excavation area when you have the energies...upearthed things are lurking obviouly so!

I pray you have a minimal $ and the best outcome. My friend paid dearly for her horses woundto be restored...and did not know if he would be a pasture pet or ?She is now riding him in lessons again.
Hang in there!

Black Jack's Carol said...

I echo kacy's comments and add a ton of good wishes to hers. So stressful, I know. Thoughts with you!

Brandy said...

ARG! I'll be adding my heartfelt thoughts for her easy and thorough recovery!

Is the injury on the inside or outside? Might need to walk that fenceline, as well, and see if there are any obvious sticky-outy pieces...

Poor girl! She does look some comfortable, and appears to be bearing weight on it...

Wow, that Brego is something else! Sweet and big, don't we love that!

Sending warm loving and healing thoughts to you all!

dp said...

Thanks, all.

The puncture is on the inside of the joint, so I assume that she lay down on something pokey. I just don't know how else she would have punctured such a hard-to-reach spot.

She does look quite comfortable, but she is as hopped up on some serious pain killers. Good to know that the pain isn't overriding the drugs, at least.

Funder said...

Ohhh, dp, I'm so sorry :( Sending yall good thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear a good report! Best wishes to Raven!

dp said...

Thanks, Stacey. David and I are headed to Honolulu in a few weeks for a working vacation, so I hope she is well on the road to recovery by then.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for Raven and for you. I hope things resolve in a hurry.