Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgreenhouse

I’ve waxed poetic about Leonard Cohen in the past, and now it’s time to give another Canadian folk legend his due.  Gordon Lightfoot has had an illustrious musical career spanning several decades but, like Cohen, remains earnest and down-to-earth about his fame and his success.  Several Lightfoot songs can make me teary-eyed, but The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a favourite.

 

On Thursday night the gales of November came early to Farcical Farm, leaving our greenhouse wrapped around the fence and strewn across the pasture.  RIP little greenhouse – I never like it much, but never would have wished it such an inglorious end. 

wreck

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That song has always haunted me. I love to listen to it, but it also makes me cry. I guess I empathize with those who died as well as those who loved them. Such a tragedy. Throw in Gordon Lightfoot and............Not sure the unloved greenhouse has the same resonance but....

EvenSong said...

The greenhouse just wanted to fly away with you to Tasmania!
Always loved that song, and Lightfoot.
Don't you guys leave this week? Bon Voyage!

AareneX said...

Big Lightfoot fan here, and the anniversary of the Edmund Fitzgerald storm is just a few days away.

I grew up in a commercial fishing town; when the song came on the radio, people would either turn it up (fishermen) or turn it off (wives)!

You are leaving town just when the weather is getting interesting...I'm jealous.

Carole said...

This needs to be said: Greenhouse, it's been good to know ya.

Aside: I've never been so surprised as when I saw a scale model of the Edmund Fitzgerald in a marine museum in Owen Sound. I'm not sure what I was expecting based on the song, but it wasn't this.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's a pretty nasty wreck.

Funder said...

I have been snickering about this blog title all day, DP. Carole's right, it's not a particularly romantic looking ship. I first read about it as a digression from some horrible torts case involving boats. Ugh, torts.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Yikes! My bike ride was windier than usual on Thursday, but that was some strong breeze (newfy in me coming out) you had. You really know how to get a title right:)

Chelsi said...

OMgosh! What kind of wind did that? I lol at your "poor little greenhouse". Gordon is a canadian classic.