Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Eggs

Australians seem to be behind the British when it comes to the rights of agricultural animals, but they are well ahead of the Canadians and Americans.  From what we’ve seen beef and dairy cows lead nice lives here, with beef cows being always on pasture and dairy cows having regular access.  The pork industry is WAY behind, though, with sow stalls very much in the news after a big story on 60 minutes over the weekend.  In the grocery store it is hard to find eggs from battery hens.  Most are advertised as free-run or free-range or cage-free, like these ones.

happy_eggs

2 comments:

Unknown said...

they look like happy eggs. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been struggling with how our animal product food is raised. We recently got chickens, so now my eggs are truly free range and my chickens are healthy and happy. I'm considering raising our own chickens for eating next year along with a few turkeys. This way, I know my food has been ethically raised. Then again, I might go back to being vegetarian. I guess we'll see next spring!