Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nine Bucks!

Some of you may recall that I won $20 (USD) in a bet with David about Barrack Obama, about a year ago.  On Saturday I spent $9 (AUD) of that on a new-to-me bike.  Used bikes are harder to find in Australia than in Canada (or we simply don’t know where to look), but we found two likely candidates at Cash Converters (aka Crime Converters) outside of Canberra.  This old 10-speed is not the most practical solution for hilly Hobart, but the darned thing called to me and I couldn’t leave it there.  It needed new tubes and tires right away (another $70), and the bearings in the rear wheel seem to be shot, thus causing enough wobble to rub the brakes going around corners.  I will bring it to the shop around the corner from work tomorrow, hoping that they can fix it  up for less than the cost so far. 

bike

There are so many exciting things to tell you about this place, but a $9 bike seemed like a good place to start.

1 comment:

Funder said...

There's an interesting negative correlation between used bicycle and car prices in US cities. Maybe it's true in AU as well?