Saturday, May 2, 2009

Summer Rain

We've had beautiful weather at Farcical Farm for the past two weeks...sunny, warm and unseasonably dry. Sometime this afternoon the familiar west coast clouds rolled in (for which we may be able to blame AareneX) and the rain started in earnest while I was doing the evening chores.
When temperatures are mild I don't worry much about the horses in the rain. They have shelter, good coats and enough fat over their ribs to survive without blankets. And when temperatures are mild Tonka doesn't worry much about the rain, either...he will happily stand out in a downpour to munch at one of the feeders (that is not Tonka in the picture -- just a sad shot of a very wet horse). Raven, on the other hand, is a princess. She does not like to get wet and she likes me to acknowledge as much. Tonight she was running circles in her feed stall after dinner so I did the usual routine -- haltered her and made her work for while instead of letting her burst through the gate. When I took off the halter she stood stock still until I said "OK" (the release word I use for horses and dogs), at which point she squealed and bolted for the shelter. Drama queen.



5 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Oh man...I thought it was Tonka!
My release id an happy little 'Okay" too!
Yea...wind and rain...who to blame!
Kac

sue said...

so.. you're at a tourny this weekend... sounds like you are as busy as I am!!!! congrats on your teams's success as well... off for another day of showing and maybe some driving this afternoon with our Tonka!!!!

Jean said...

That was quite a downpour last night, wasn't it? Thankfully, the sun is shining again this morning.
I have four princess dogs, when it comes to rain. I open the door to take them out and I can practically hear the screeching of claws on carpet as the come to a dead stop and say "We're NOT going out in that weather - we'll get our furs wet!!!"

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That is one unhappy looking horse.

AareneX said...

I do accept responsibility for the rain--sorry, the garden needed water.

I promise not to wash the car, though. That would certainly cause more rain, and we don't actually need any more!

Sigh.