Saturday, May 9, 2009

Black Gold

The arrival of Georange has simplified many tasks around Farcical Farm, and turning our compost bins now takes 10 minutes instead of several hours. As a result our manure is composting much faster than it did pre-Georange, and looking better as well. The bins are chock full of worms (how many can you count in the picture below?), which the local robins have noticed and used to their advantage. Yesterday I found a hefty garter snake in one bin...either that or the worms are getting MUCH bigger. And last weekend I was able to supply the neighbours with many loader buckets of rich, black amendment for the soil in their new pumpkin patch. They got fertilized and we got a bin half emptied...that's a win/win situation.



6 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm so jealous. I'm still using a shovel... and I'd swear that these horses are pooping in double-time.

allhorsestuff said...

My, you have such lovely soil and compost!
Okay...I so thought of you the other day..I got stuck in the mudd BAD with my sisters truck and trailer with the mare inside and I finally got pulled out by a little Blue tracker, hooked up to the rear axel of the trailer(no horse inside) ...my gal freind, I board with, knew the make-because of the color! she then rattled off 5 other trackers..by color!
It soo cracked me up...obviously, she'd been shopping for a tracker !

EvenSong said...

Oooh manure-->compost-->soil amendment! Oooh, little pink wuuurms! Next you'll be needin' a manure spreader! (I happen to know that Pequea makes one in orange...)

rerin = I be rerin to go turn MY munure piles now, too!

Brandy said...

VERY nice! It's weird, our front lawn sprouts worms in the rain, but I never see them anywhere else... I spend a few minutes "rescuing" them from the wet lawn into the dry planters on those rare rainy days.

10 minutes to turn those bins? Go, Georange! What to do with all the extra time... LOL!

AareneX said...

totally excellent dirt! My chickens would love to make the acquaintance of your worms....

allhorsestuff: today our blue tractor got stuck in the mud, and I had to haul it out with the truck! turnabout = fair play

Carole said...

That's valuable stuff. You should've seen my cucumber crop last year, courtesy of my ready supply of black gold. :-)