Monday, October 6, 2008

Cornholios

Two weeks ago I found the remains of some corn cobs in the horse paddock. Tonka and Raven cannot reach the neighbor's garden, but we think one of the local bears broke the stalks and pushed them close enough to be thieved. Last week Wayne brought us four cobs while I was mucking, so I hung the bag over the fence to collect when I was finished. The thieves struck again. Today Wayne said that he was going to start tearing out his garden, and I said that he could feed any unwanted cobs to the goats. The moment the horses heard the sound of corn snapping they came begging. Both got a couple of cobs (they eat them whole and unshucked, just as greedily as they would eat apples or carrots) and Raven got my index finger by the first knuckle when I wasn't paying attention (until I got her by a nostril and twisted). She obviously doesn't remember who came to her rescue the other day...



5 comments:

Brandy said...

Owie!!!!!!!! Wow, she must have been chowing down like a greedy gut to have bit you that far up!

Amazing to think of all the things horses like to eat....

If you have any comfrey, it makes a comforting soak! I had a bad dog bite when I worked at a kennel, and I made a sort of tea with some comfrey leaf and root. I soaked my finger in it, and put the mashed up wet herb straight on the wound. It made the throbbing stop, and it healed without a scar!

Black Jack's Carol said...

Ooh, that looks painful!

My very first day working in a new stable, mucking out Brutus's stall, I learned just how miserable a horse bite can be. He managed to get a good portion of my thigh between his teeth. I was black and blue for more than a week afterwards. Apparently, it was common knowledge never to turn your back on Brutus, but the stable owner let me find that out the hard way. It was a lesson I never forgot.

I hope comfrey lives up to its name. No advice but lots of good wishes!

dp said...

Comfrey? We are overrun with the stuff. This is good to know!

The bite was more surprising than painful, and the finger feels pretty much normal except that it is purple around the knuckle. I just couldn't believe that she could be so greedy -- even Tonka (who is far greedier) has never confused fingers with food.

allhorsestuff said...

yeeeow!
Yikes...sometimes they are overly jawslike for the food huh!

3dogslater said...

Owww!

Any chance you are looking for a fourth goat? "Billy" needs a new home (and a new name!)

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12092577