Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tonka in Love

Raven arrived early this afternoon. She is in heat and Tonka is in love. He spent most of the day acting studdy (while remaining a gentleman) with his "manhood" surprisingly ready for action on occasion. I did not observe any attempted mountings, but nor did I observe any real rebuffs from Raven. Overall I am thrilled by how well they are getting along thus far. He follows her around like a puppy dog and she doesn't seem to mind. Environment Canada is predicting decent weather tomorrow morning, so I will certainly be taking her out for her inaugural ride.


4 comments:

dt said...

His reaction when she first walked down our driveway was priceless. It was like in Disney cartoons when the shape of a heart comes thudding out of the besotted creature's chest. Glad I was around to witness the moment.

dp said...

So am I!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Didn't realise Tonka's size until compared with Raven. Just love that warmblood look.

dp said...

Yes, Tonka is...er...substantial. I've never measured him, but he's at least 16 hands with a lot of bulk. We figure that he is part percheron, but who knows? Raven is a wisp of a thing measuring 15.1 and weighing about 950 lbs at best (probably closer to 800 right now). I do love the look of the bigger horses too, but Raven was exactly the horse I wanted in terms of personality and that's more important in the end. I do love my big lug, though.