Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Let it Rain, Let it Rain, Let it Rain

I share Jaime Jackson's opinion that unclipped, well-fed horses are quite capable of regulating their own body temperature without the aid man-made clothing. They cannot, however, keep themselves dry under conditions of heavy rain. Did I mention that we live in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia? It's pretty much a rain forest. So I did a little research to find the best combination of quality/price for a breathable rain sheet, size 82. Several folks suggested that Shedrow blankets made by Canada's own Greenhawk Equestrian Supplies are great, and I ordered one last Thursday. It showed up today, and I went straight to the barn to test it out. When I arrived Tonka, Jack and Star were whoopin' it up in the sand ring, and I soon learned that they have been stall-bound for the past two days because of a downed and dangerous fence. I've been up at UBC for the past two days, and this was the first I'd heard of it -- one more reason to get him home ASAP. We went for a quick walk before the sun set, but I left the blanket for another time. So you'll have to imagine a big gray horse here, instead of a plastic chestnut one.

No comments: