This one is for the Haiku Farm party tomorrow. I would have delivered it in-person, but the thesis, the thesis. AareneX kindly offered to lend me a chapter of her novel in lieu of the Very Scientific stuff that I am supposed to write, but I am too chickenshit to accept. Instead, I counter-offer this virtual rhubarb pudding cake.
If I ever become a real farmer I'm going to be a rhubarb farmer. We have five incredibly healthy plants despite our near-complete neglect. The stuff sells for $3.99/lb in grocery stores around here -- we could be rich! This is a completely simple and completely tasty recipe for you rhubarb lovers out there. As directed it comes out a little bit sweet, a little bit creamy and quite tart -- it tastes sublime when served hot with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 package of white cake mix, extra moist
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream (don't try half and half)
- preheat oven to 350
- prepare cake mix as per instructions and pour into greased 9X13 pan
- toss rhubarb in sugar...use more sugar if you don't like it tart
- spread rhubarb over cake mix
- pour whipping cream evenly over top
- bake for ~50 minutes until top browned and toothpick comes out clean