Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cherry Picking

Farcical Farm is home to one of the biggest sour cherry trees that I have ever seen. It sits right at the end of our septic field and, by the looks of things, it has been soaking up all those good nutrients for at least 30 years.

Not only is the tree large, but it's productive. We don't use the fruit, but it certainly gets eaten. I took the above picture early in the morning because a feasting, squawking raven (not Raven) woke me up. Fallen cherries also get get eaten by dogs, goats and horses. Some other iPhone pictures, because I happened to have it in my pocket this afternoon. First, a shiny black Raven:

Next, a sweet itchy Tonka. The mosquitos have been bearable so far this year (for which Raven is happy) but the gnats have been thick and furious. Poor Tonka has sores on his chest and, of course, his poor itchy willy.

The dogs in the mud room. Today we got rain for the first time in more than three weeks, and the dogs were actually wet when we came in from the morning exercises. Good thing I finally got that new vinyl cover installed on their couch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Love the pics!

AareneX said...

Hey, send some of the rain our way! I got a little spatter yesterday, but we need MOOOORE.

Except on Sunday, though--that's party day. You should come down. It's not that far, is it?

dt said...

are you _trying_ to make me homesick?

Black Jack's Carol said...

I love the photo of the three dogs. Is that Tilley in the back corner of the bed? Does she have a special bed or cushion behind her? How is she doing?

allhorsestuff said...

OH! That tree is rather large must like it's local indeed!
I laughed outloud when I saw the mattress cover! That is too perfect for them.

We are going to try some cedar lotion for the nats and flys...my freind thought her horse was colicing the other day..nope jsut kicking and biting at the underbelly pests!

Sarah Henderson, BCCDC said...

At this point you can hardly tell that Tilley is blind. She is slightly tentative in new places and you can get her right between the eyes if you throw something at her -- otherwise it is impossible to tell. They are incredible animals.

In that picture she is lying on top of another big cushion we have on the couch. Tilley likes to be on top of things, and I have several pictures of her sleeping in high-up places. She is quite convinced of her superior pack status, so it may have something to do with that.

Let me know how the cedar juicy works, Kacy.