Saturday, January 9, 2010

Wineglass Bay

Wineglass Bay in Freycinet National Park is another of Tasmania’s most-visited places. After a stunning lightening show on New Year’s Eve (another post to follow) David and I packed up our gear and headed up island to see what all the fuss is about. Here is the best picture I was able to take from the viewing platform versus a picture that someone else appears to have taken from an airplane.

jan2_wineglass_bay

I confess that it’s quite pretty, but must admit that I found Mt. Field National Park more to my tastes. I prefer trees and mountains to beaches, but am lucky to always find myself living in places where I have easy access to both. Perhaps the highlight of the day in Freycinet was running into the kooky customer at the tail end of our 12km hike.

jan2_grass_tree

This is a grass tree. I had never seen one before (they are native to Australia, like many other weird and wonderful flora and fauna), and was pleased to meet one that had a haircut similar to those inflicted on me by my mother when I was a child.

3 comments:

EvenSong said...

Go ahead. Taunt us all with your tropical, southern hemisphere summer! While we all shiver in our Muck Boots and shovel poopsicles!

[Maddie and Jackson send a black and white spotted "Hi!" Kate's too busy eating.]

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

GirlWithCurls said...

Wineglass Bay.... not only a charming name, but a beautiful place! I love it when water/bays churn in those awesome colors!