Friday, August 14, 2009

A Peck of Purple Peppers

David bought and installed our pepper and tomato plants this summer, so I am only vaguely aware of the varieties. There are some skinny, spicy-looking green peppers that I look forward to cooking with, and there are these pretty little purple ones. I'm not sure whether they are sweet or spicy, and I have no idea how big they are supposed to get. In all honesty, I don't really care because they are so cute.

On the redder side of the visible spectrum we have tomatoes. So. Many. Tomatoes. Until this morning I had thought they were all small varieties, until I found this monster hiding in the tomato jungle.

One of the problems I'm having with the tomatoes is accessing the obviously ripe ones. I can *see* them, but actually getting my hand through the foliage to grab them takes some careful planning and unusual contortion. It saddens me that we will be away as most of these ripen, but I am hoping that our house-sitter (a new girl named Tess -- more on that later) will pick them and toss them into the freezer for us.

No comments: