Thursday, April 23, 2009

One is the Loneliest Number

That's exactly how many bales of hay we have the garage. You may recall that I bought 400 bales of 6% sugar and 15% protein hay in the fall, and that we had 200 bales delivered on October 10th (197 days ago) while Farmer Dave stored the other 200 in his barn.* I have always known that Tonka and Raven eat about a bale a day between them, but the day-to-day fluctuation is huge -- between 2/3 and 4/3 -- so I am surprised to see how accurate that estimate was over such a long period. We use hay to bed down the goat van when it gets mucked, so that probably accounts for the other three bales.

Neat, but it doesn't explain how we are going to feed the horses come Saturday. I cannot get in touch with the young man who did the transport last time so I will go pick up 20 bales Saturday morning and hope that Dan calls back soon.

*Farmer Dave was very glad to hear from me. He knew that he had sold the hay, but had completely forgotten to whom. When I tentatively confirmed that he still had the hay he said "Of course! I knew I sold it to someone!" which epitomizes my experience with farmers so far -- a handshake deal is a done deal.



3 comments:

Black Jack's Carol said...

Your Farmer Dave story makes me smile. I grew up as a villager in the middle of farm country. My grandfather (on my dad's side) was the blacksmith. His shop became a garage, as cars replaced horses. My dad and his brother became mechanics, probably thinking of themselves as very progressive in seeing the way of the future. I can still see the old drawer with bills and notes and grease-covered papers. Maybe it wasn't always the most perfectly efficient management, but deals were made and honored and trust was never an issue. I think working with the land (or with people who work the land) is somehow good for the soul. Same with fishermen, now that I think of it. Maybe, it's just down to earth physical labor in the interest of survival that keeps it real.

Funder said...

I have been giggling since I read that. My hay farmer in Tennessee would've done the same thing. Honest as the day is long, but a little disorganized.

peedent: a pedant who can't spell.

allhorsestuff said...

Hello DP
I have some serious questions about founder and i know YOU know the answers...
maybe you could point me to posts or we could communicatre over e-mails.
My new PBO may be seriously putting her foundered horse in a life death situation with her hay and allowing him to graze this spring grass ..but what do I know?
I would like to know more to be able to avoid massive problems..she will listen, she jsus tends to have a "crisis response" to most things..meaning..wait till a cirsis and then respond.
Me, I like to be a step ahead, to avoid.
Kac
I think your Mail is on your blog...Thanks for maybe taking the time for this DP
mine is
kacyinhim@comcast.net